Book a Hepatitis B Vaccination
By booking an appointment with a REMEDI HEALTH clinician we can ensure that we can advise appropriately and prescribe safely for your optimum protection.
To book this service, please click the button below.
Safe, private clinic
Our beautiful award-winning clinic is in the centre of Winchester and we look forward to welcoming you. Keeping you and others safe is our priority and so if you are unwell, please let us know in advance and we will make appropriate arrangements.
Your appointment will be with a highly trained clinician in one of our private consultation rooms at our clinic in Winchester. We will advise you to ensure that you only receive treatment that is appropriate so you are protected and safe.
We operate within a registered private pharmacy which means that we can discuss and provide any required treatments, tests or referrals as appropriate. You can also be assured that we work within a strict governance framework.
About this appointment
During your appointment our trained clinician will discuss any travel plans, health history and any factors which may affect the treatment to be prescribed. This will ensure that the vaccine provided is safe for you and appropriate for your health risk or the area you are visiting.
Your Title Goes Here
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
About Hepatitis B
Hepatitis B is a viral infection of the liver spread by direct contact with the blood or body fluids of an infected person. It occurs worldwide with highest rates reported in parts of East Asia and Sub Saharan Africa. Higher rates of infection are also found in the Amazon, southern parts of Eastern and Central Europe, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent. The rates of infection in Western Europe and North America are low.
Risk for travellers is low although certain behaviours or activities put individuals at higher risk, particularly when these occur in areas where hepatitis B is more common.
You can get hepatitis B from:
- having vaginal, anal or oral sex without using a condom or dam
- injecting drugs using shared needles
- being injured by a used needle
- having a tattoo or piercing with unsterilised equipment
- having a blood transfusion in a country that does not check blood for hepatitis B. Blood transfusions in the UK are checked for hepatitis B.
If you’re pregnant and have hepatitis B, you can also pass it onto your baby during pregnancy or birth.
All travellers should avoid contact with blood and bodily fluids by:
- avoiding unprotected sexual intercourse.
- using appropriate protective precautions where contact is unavoidable, e.g. due to occupation
- avoiding tattooing, piercing and acupuncture (unless sterile equipment is used)
- not sharing needles or other injection equipment.
- not sharing shaving equipment.
Any traveller can be at risk of an accident or require emergency treatment. Travellers should be aware that using precautions will also help protect against other blood and body fluid-borne viruses, such as HIV and hepatitis C, for which there are currently no vaccines. A sterile medical equipment kit may be helpful when travelling to resource poor areas.
About the Hepatitis B Vaccine
Vaccination is the best way to prevent hepatitis B. In the UK, the hepatitis B vaccine is given to babies as part of the 6-in-1 vaccine.
Several well-tolerated inactivated hepatitis B vaccines, including combined hepatitis A/B products, are available and vaccination is recommended for all travellers and workers considered at risk.
Adults should get the vaccine if they’re at high risk, for example:
- you are travelling to a high-risk country – you may have to pay for a hepatitis B vaccine for travel
- you have liver or kidney disease
- you have HIV
- your job puts you at risk of infection – for example, you’re a healthcare worker or work in a prison
Can we help you?
Our team are standing by to help you with any questions or queries that you may have. We can advise you on the best test, product or service for your requirements.