Book a cholesterol check in Winchester
Booking a cholesterol check with REMEDI HEALTH is quick. Just pick a time and date that suits you. The testing process should last no more than 15 minutes, but please allow up to half an hour so we can explain what the test results mean. We will also ask you what you understand about cholesterol and help you with some strategies to reduce your cholesterol if needed.
Our Winchester clinic has rigorous infection control measures in place to protect both you and our staff.
Each test is £60.00 inclusive of VAT.
Please select a date and time from the calendar and enter your details.
GET PEACE OF MIND
Cholesterol check: how it works
High blood cholesterol is a major risk factor for cardovascular disease.
Our cholesterol check, using a fingerprick for a blood sample, provides an efficient lipid panel test in as little as 2 minutes.
It tests for :
- Total Cholesterol (CHOL) – the total amount of cholesterol in blood
- High Density Lipoprotein (HDL) – good cholesterol which reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) by carrying Low Density Lipoprotein away from the blood stream for disposal
- Triglyceride (TRIG) – the most common type of fat in the body. Triglycerides can also contribute to the narrowing of the artery walls, increasing your risk
- Calculated Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL) – bad cholesterol which contributes to the build up of plaque which is a thick, hard deposit that can clog arteries increasing the risk of a heart attack and stroke
- Total Cholesterol to HDL ratio – this is used to predict your risk of developing cardivascular disease; a higher ratio indicates a higher risk of CVD
Knowing your cholesterol levels and cardiovascular risk will help you make simple lifestyle changes that can reduce your risk of having cardiovascular disease.
CE AUTHORISED TEST
What causes high cholesterol?
Anyone can get high cholesterol, and it can be caused by many different things. Some things you can control like lifestyle habits, others you can’t. As long as you take care of the things you can control, you’ll help lower your risk.
Things that cause high cholesterol you can control:
- eating too much saturated fat
- not being active enough
- having too much body fat, especially around your middle.
Smoking can lead to high cholesterol levels, and the build-up of tar it causes in your arteries makes it easier for cholesterol to stick to your artery walls.
If you are overweight or have diabetes, you are at greater risk of having high cholesterol.
Things that cause high cholesterol you can’t control:
- getting older
- if you are male or female
- ethnic background
- Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (FH), a form of high cholesterol you are born with
- kidney or liver disease
- an underactive thyroid gland
Contact us to find out more about getting a Cholesterol Check in Winchester.